About a month ago, we ordered a real grown-up table & chairs and sideboard. FINALLY!! This was after much searching.
We ended up with this beauty & the sideboard:
![]() |
| Restoration Hardware |
I always admired the table in the store window whenever we walked by it, and we scored it during one of their 20% off sales.
However, it's raw wood and with kids? Needs to have some sort of protective coat on it. We contacted someone to do it who is a wood expert and it's going to be a bit of a hassle -- he would come do it in our kitchen (making the kitchen inaccessible) , it would need a few coats, and he wouldn't be able to get to it til December. And when the protective finish goes on, it will change the look of the wood overall, kind of defeating the purpose of the wood color we chose.
In addition, the sideboard that was supposed to coordinate showed up with this weird green tint to it. We weren't able to see one in the store so we bought it sight unseen. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't supposed to be green.
We had 30 days to return them both if we wanted. So on Day 28, I called RH and told them to come and get it. WHO DOES THAT???? In the end, it was just becoming a thorn in my side. I don't want a table I can't use - I want a table that our family can gather at, spill on, and really USE. I want it to be pretty too, of course....so the hunt continues. I have my heart set on a trestle table, but many of them are such rough wood -- and while I LOVE that rustic look of salvaged wood that is so trendy right now -- I can't imagine wiping rice and dried ketchup out of the crevices of something like that. No thanks.
I swear I am the most indecisive person on the planet. Drives my Hubs nutso.





Coincidence!! I have been drooling over this table for a while, good thing I read this! Raw wood = no go!
ReplyDeleteHope you find something soon!
Those are awesome!! What beautiful pieces. But yes, you are so right, in the end you want your house to be a place for real life, not a museum! My husband has a gorgeous table he bought in Belgium when he lived in Germany that looks like raw wood but it does have some kind of protective coating on it. Can't wait to see what you eventually find!!!
ReplyDeleteOh how our purchases change with kiddos! I can't tell you how many times I have told Brian "I wish we wouldn't have bought/changed ____ before Greyson came along". We put all hardwood floors on our first floor months before G came along. Wishing we would have kept some carpet with G starting to pull up on everything! Can't wait to see what you buy!
ReplyDelete