07 November 2012

Mommy Wear & Stitch Fix

I'm always on the lookout for cute, comfortable clothes to wear when I'm out and about with the babies.  Nobody wants to look frumpy or like a worn-out mom, right?  Practicality aside, I'm no fashionista, but I like to look in the mirror and like what I am wearing, ya know?

I don't know exactly what my "style" is, if I even have one?  I like stripes.  Too much.  I like polka dots.  I like solids.  I like it all!

I approach my shopping much differently now that I'm a Mama:

First:  It can't be too expensive.  It WILL get baby drool or toddler mysterygoo on it.
Second:  It HAS to be comfortable - not just tolerable.
Third:  I have to be able to access "the girls" if needed for breastfeeding ease.  (Yes, I've been TOPLESS in a CHURCH because I didn't take into account my dress wasn't breastfeeding-appropriate.)
Fourth:  It must fit.  I used to be notorious for buying something that was "SO CUTE, if only it were a little longer/shorter/looser/tighter/whatever".  The likelihood of me going to get something tailored these days is pretty slim.

That's why I love reading other Mommy blogs - I get great ideas and heads-up for sales ; )  There's always Pinterest too for inspiration, although, even with photographic instruction, I still struggle with putting outfits together.

I mentioned in a previous post that I recently joined StitchFix.  If you're not familiar, it's an online styling service that you pay $20 for.  You fill out an online profile.  Once they can take you on, someone hand picks 5 items for you, in the price range you specify, and sends them to you.  Since I canceled my Birchbox subscription, it's really only costing me (another) $10 a month.  That's how my rationalization works here in Tammyfantasyland, haha!

You get the package in the mail (it's like Christmas!).  You try it all on -- have a little fashion show with your Toddler -- keep what you love -- and send back what you don't.  You only pay for what you decide to keep and that $20 fee you paid upfront goes toward any purchases.  They  make it super convenient to return the items in a postage-paid mailer bag too.  Meaning, I don't have to schlep it to the post-office with my sumoweight baby in tow.  Easy = Happy Mama.

For my first "Fix", I kept one out of the 5 items they sent me.  I was torn on whether or not to keep THREE others, but ultimately decided to return them because of fit.  If it didn't fit perfectly, I wouldn't wear it and it would be a big waste.

This cardigan is the item I kept.  Disregard the fact that I am in an Old Navy changing room , lol!

I loved the items they chose because they were things I probably wouldn't have picked out in a store - or even tried on for that matter.  That's what makes it fun.  It's like having a friend shop with you and say "Hey, I think you'd look good in this.  Why don't you give it a try?"  Since I can no longer get out shopping with girlfriends like the good ol' days, this is the next best thing ; )

You can get your Fix as often as you want.  You tell them when to send your next fix OR you can have it sent automatically every month.  I really like that they don't force you to subscribe to a frequency.

*I am not receiving any compensation for my opinion on StitchFix, just wanted to share my experience*  (If you do, however, want to sign up, if you mention my name or use this link, I will get a $25 referral credit.  http://stitchfix.com/users/signup/?referrer_id=3026613)

For everyday outings (Target & grocery store runs, school drop-offs, miscellaneous errands) I always turn to neutral colored basics that are comfortable and mixable.  Now that it's fall, I usually throw on some boots and maybe a scarf.
This plaid shirt was WAY outside my comfort zone.  But kinda cute?  Something about it attracted me.  But I didn't buy it.
I try to ONLY buy things on sale or with coupons because EVERYTHING goes on sale eventually.  Especially places like Old Navy, Gap, (I rarely make purchases at either unless I am getting 25% or 30% off), J Crew and Ann Taylor LOFT are a few examples of places I frequent online.

I recently remembered I had a credit to use at Kiki La'Rue from this summer.  They are always changing their inventory so I was super excited to find this dress & sweater:
I thought I might wear this for Thanksgiving paired with some tights and boots?
 I HATE wearing a coat in the winter (and yes, I was born and raised in the frozen tundra that is Minnesota!) so this sweater might just be awesome:
This would be cute with a black tank/black leggings and maybe a brown belt & brown boots?
They are a bit more "bold" than the things I normally wear, but I'm hoping they fit well and I get a lot of use out of them.

Have you found anything you are loving to wear lately?? DO SHARE!!

Photobucket 


2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this. Sounds very interesting! I love wearing leggings and long sweaters/sweatshirts, but I can't find any comfy every day ones. I don't want dressy stuff, I just want long shirts to cover my big butt in the leggings, haha. Otherwise it's yoga pants and a tshirt for this mama! I'm still struggling to fit into my cute jeans :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stumbled on your blog tonight from My Life as Mama's blog.. and you've instantly made me a new follower. This idea is fantastic! I plan to check it out and if I sign up, I'll definitely make it known you sent me. :) your kids are adorable, by the way!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping by! I love to read your comments, so feel free to let me know you were here!