Morgan has begun showing interest in they potty. Or "Poppy!" as she calls it. And yes, it's always said with an exclamation point in her little munchkin voice ;)
I, on the other hand, have been avoiding the issue. I'm not ready. I know realistically at 20 months old, she is making the connection about going potty, but doesn't fully get it.
She's been following me into the bathroom pretty much every single time I go during her waking hours for a good two months now. This week I decided to buy a few things just to see how interested she really is in the idea.
I had no idea what to get or where to begin, so I bought this book & this potty.
She sat on it as soon as I pulled it out of the box. I put it in the bathroom and she kept going in to look at it. At one point in the afternoon, I was nursing Joey and noticed Morgan was awfully quiet. I found her in the bathroom (lights off) sitting on her Poppy. So cute!
So I asked her if she wanted to try to go Potty like a big girl. We pulled down her pants, removed her diaper and let her sit there. Nothing happened, of course. But she pointed and babbled at the toilet paper. So I gave her some. She pretended to wipe. Talk about cute!
That was the extent of our first potty exposure. Since I'm not super motivated to get her potty trained at this point, I'm not going to push anything. I've read you can't really expect them to "hold it" and get the concept of going until they are able to control their bladder and hold it for extended periods of time (for example, naps) and we're not quite there yet. So we'll see!




We have that potty chair! Hadley just sits on it when we go :/ she's had it for awhile and every now and then we try her on it but nothing ever happens.. I'm not ready for that battle either! I'm gonna check out this book you posted!
ReplyDeleteWe have one in our bathroom too for Kyla. She loves to sit on it with her pants on, but when I try before her baths with no pants or diaper, she freaks out. She's clearly not ready either. I'm not going to worry about it until after her 2nd birthday and then I'll see where we're at.
ReplyDeleteKyla has that same Carter's shirt. We must shop at the same place :)