06 June 2013

Maggots to Muffins

This post is going to be really random.  But I feel the need to share with my friends....

I spent today hiding in my house from the outbreak of MAGGOTS that infested our trash in the garage. I feel so dirty.  They were literally raining down when I threw something in the garbage can.  Big, fat, juicy ones too.  Every time one fell off the top of the can, I could hear a little thud.  Ew.  I am still getting the heebies just thinking about.  Thank God for husbands who take care of that "situation".

My IG photo today...asking how it makes sense that we go for a walk with this setup.  Morgan's demand.  But all that nonsense was overshadowed by the lurkers in the background.

Drowning Video:  Please watch this - ESPECIALLY if you are going to be at the pool/lake a lot this summer with littles or others.  Drowning doesn't look like what we see on TV.  This is scary and could save a life!  I hope my link works bc it got all jacked up on Facebook (and no, I haven't jumped that ship just yet, lol)

http://mariovittone.com/2010/05/154/

I'm way too paranoid to take MoJo around water by myself (even our baby pool scares me) because accidents happen SO fast.  I think I heard/read a statistic that 50% of the time, the parent is nearby.   I KNOW people personally that have had near-death accidents happen with their toddlers in the past 2 years alone....

Peace Tees:  I'm not sure how much longer this sale is on, but Shannon at Life After I Dew is helping sell these super adorable Peace Tees. A portion of the proceeds are going to help a little girl named Violet up in Columbus who's fighting a very rare brain cancer.  Heartbreaking.  Go HERE to learn more or if you'd like to buy one.  Can't wait to get mine!  If I can help someone even a tiny bit AND get a cute T out of it? Sold.
I totally stole this off her blog - is that improper blog etiquette?  What about if it's for a good cause?

Spark Anyone?  I've had a few people message me asking about Spark.  I love it.  With 2 babies it's giving me that energy boost I need to get through the day and even be productive every now and then!  If you want to try a sample, I have some I can send ya.  Just message me your name & mailing address.  If you want to buy some, you can go HERE.

Healthy Snack/Breakfast Muffins:  I had 2 Bananas that needed to be used up today.  I quickly searched for a recipe for Banana Blueberry Muffins and found this one from Jillian Michaels.  They turned out INSANELY GOOD!!!  A quick, healthy muffin that we can eat for breakfast for a couple of days (MoJo both loved them too!) My substitutions are in red.

Blueberry Banana Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
Make up several batches and freeze what you don’t plan to eat right away. These are great for a before workout snack, breakfast or dessert.
Ingredients;
  • Olive oil spray for the tin
  • 3/4 cup mashed very ripe bananas (about 2)
  • 3/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt (I used Vanilla Greek Yogurt w/no problems)
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/3 cup olive oil (I subbed Coconut Oil)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 21/2 cups white whole-wheat flour (I subbed Oat Flour - same amount)
  • 2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 generous cup fresh or frozen blueberries
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (optional) *I did not include these so I could feed them to Joey*
Directions:
  1. Place an oven rack in the center of the oven, then preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly spray a 12- cup muffin tin with olive oil or line with paper liners.
  2. In a large bowl, place the bananas, yogurt, honey, olive oil, and vanilla. Stir together until well mixed.
  3. In a separate bowl, sift together the fl our, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in the blueberries and the nuts, if using.
  4. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin. Place the tin in the oven and reduce the heat to 400°F. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Let cool in the tin for 10 to 15 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Serve warm.
  5. For longer storage, let cool completely and store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
**My Oven seems to always overcook things (It's not me, it can't be me!! lol) So I know to bake at a lower temp.  I just put it on 375 degrees and checked after 35 minutes.  The muffins were getting pretty dark brown and still a bit undercooked inside, so I baked another 5 minutes.  They were very moist/squishy/still undercooked slightly inside -- BUT there are no eggs in this recipe so it's probably OK if they are undercooked.

Nutritional information (based on original recipe)

  • Calories: 216.0 kcal
  • Fat: 6.8 g
  • Protein: 4.5 g
  • Carbohydrates: 37.1 g
  • Sodium: 234.5 mg
I don't plan to be making this a weekly feature, the whole "Maggots to Muffins" thing.  You're welcome.
Photobucket

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi and thanks for stopping by! I love to read your comments, so feel free to let me know you were here!