04 March 2013

Our Trip to Tennessee

Well, we survived our trip to Gatlinburg.  I had been SO anxious all week that I wouldn't do anything but worry about -- and miss -- MoJo.  I was very preoccupied all week with getting everything in order for my MIL to come stay with the kids; that meant making sure we were all stocked up on food, all clothing & linens were washed & put away, plenty of clean bottles, diaper genies empty, etc.  And of course, my 3-page dissertation on how to care for my children ; )  I wish I was kidding, but it really was 3 pages!!

Kissin on my girl before we left.

Everything went off without a hitch.  My MIL sent me updates, lots of videos & pics and that put my Mama mind at ease.  We debated calling to Face Time with Morgan because we didn't know if it would upset her.  We finally just did it on Saturday and she was SO funny!  Of course she kept wanting to swipe the screen all over so we got disconnected about 7 times ; )  I was told they BOTH slept through the night and never woke earlier than 7am.  

I was worried the first night when my MIL told me Morgan picked "Llama Llama Misses Mama" for her first book.  But then again, she is obsessed with those books and we read them every day and every night, ha!


One area where I was a complete failure?  Packing for ME.  In all the preparation for the kiddos, I managed to forget my BATHING SUIT, my phone charger, and some other little things.  When we left, I forgot a fair amount of items at the cabin, despite walking back through the rooms several times (the Hubs' swim trunks hanging on the back of the bathroom door, my favorite down pillow, our beverages in the refrigerator.)  But that's the worst of it.

I wish I could report we did SUPER FUN & EXCITING things, but mostly?  We rested and just chilled out.  Sat in the hot tub every night and talked over a few beers.  Got a massage & a pedicure.  Went out to eat a few times and made a few meals at the cabin.  Slept in.  Took naps.  Caught up on my blogs.  Read magazines.  It. Was. GLORIOUS!

I only took a few pictures, but I have to say Joe really knocked it out of the park with his selection of the cabin.  He wouldn't tell me where we were staying - just kept saying it was a surprise.  And boy, was it amazing!

This is looking out the Master Bedroom, which is also a game room/family area on the top level.  The hot tub was outside on this top deck.

Master bedroom

Master Bath, complete with heart-shaped jacuzzi.   Oh, how my inner-80's child was taken back to when I wished I could sit in one!  We skipped this and opted to sit in the hot tub outside instead.

The game area, there was an air hockey table and an old school video arcade game, complete with free Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, etc.  All the games from our childhood, lol!  We played a lot of air hockey one night until I got fed up with the scoring system.  

The view I woke up to every morning.

It was snowy & cloudy there most of our stay, but still a stunning view out of our windows.


We tried fried green tomatoes for the first time.  This version had balsamic vinegar & goat cheese on it.  YUMMO!
One night we went out to eat at one of those Hibachi Grills - you know, where they seat you next to people in a square and then the chef cooks up all the food at once.  Anyway, the only people sitting at our table were an older couple (probably in their 50's) who were there with their 4-year old daughter and she had just competed in a Toddler Pageant.

Imagine my questions for this couple!  I didn't hold back either.  I always try to never be disrespectful, but sometimes I have no filter.  

I asked how long she had been competing and the dad told me since she was 9 months old.  (?!)  I asked "What in the world do they judge a 9-month old on????"  He said, very excitedly, "Oooh - hair - best eyes - smile - personality!"

REALLY?  Personality?

I'm pretty certain the words "You're kidding me!" flew out of my mouth before I could stop them.

I tried not to judge.

OK.  No I didn't.

I asked what her talent was.  He told me "Runway Modeling."  I could hardly contain myself.  Now I'm not intending a big debate on whether or not pageants are good or bad.  But Runway Modeling?  A "Talent"?

All judging aside, the beautiful little girl was passed out cold from her busy day and you could tell her parents were just so proud of her.  I know pageants are a big deal in the south - along with Fried Green Tomatoes - so I tried to take in all the culture ; )


The day we left it cleared up and the sun came out.  
We stayed in Pigeon Forge.  We did a little shopping (the Outlet Mall found me!).  On Saturday we drove to Gatlinburg, just a few miles down the road and visited a few touristy places.  It was suprisingly crowded for being off-season.  But I guess there's the big ski resort, so maybe that's why.  We went up in the Tram, which took us 2800 feet up into the mountains.  The older I get, the more afraid of heights I become.  I didn't get any pictures because they cram 120 people onto this thing and it was beyond crowded!
Ready to go home and see my babies!
The drive home took an eternity.  Doesn't it always seem to take forever to get home?

Today has been back to business as usual.  After running an errand, we decided to meet Daddy for lunch at the hospital since he had a light morning.  Morgan was practically running down the hall to meet him, screaming and laughing "Daddy!  Daddy Hospital!"  It was SO cute!  And I'm sure it made Daddy feel some love since she's been a little stingy with the lovin' towards him these days!
They were so cute, he held her close talking to her for a few minutes and she didn't want to let go.

Ready for a nap.
It's great to be home - I really needed & enjoyed that little R&R.  I missed the littles like crazy though - we've been spending lots of time rolling around, playing on the floor.  Nothing like kissing those sweet little faces!

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. So glad you enjoyed your trip!! Sounds like the perfect mix of fun & relaxation.... The beauty pageant baby cracked me up!! (and the tiara goes to the only 9 month old that didn't cry today!")

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful trip! It does sound glorious and wow how amazing that your MIL can swoop in and handle the littles for a few days. That's huge! I love that part of the country - so beautiful! And fried green tomatoes are my FAVE!! Hilarious about the pageant! I would have straight up interviewed them like you did - I love asking people about stuff like that. If they love it (which clearly that couple did) then they are so open to talking about it and you get honest answers straight from the source - it's clearly a win win!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping by! I love to read your comments, so feel free to let me know you were here!