01 October 2013

Loving Now (Cheap Thrills)

I'm recovering from my birthday, which was actually very low key.  It consisted of pizza, birthday cake, and candy corn + peanuts  (isn't that the best combo ever invented?)  So by "recovering", I mean from all the sugar and fat I consumed.  I got to spend the day & evening with my favorite people in the whole world, so I was happy.  That's all I really need. 

Not to get too deep on this here old blog, but ANY birthday is better than the one I had 8 years ago.  My mother died the day before my 29th birthday.  We spent my actual birthday at the funeral home, making arrangements and choosing her coffin.  What I wouldn't give to have her here with us today.  We all miss her so much, it still doesn't seem real.

Anyway, on to happier topics:  Today I'm taking the kids with me to find some mums for our front step...that always makes me happy.  Until they die on me.  My mom always had BEAUTIFUL flowers...apparently I didn't inherit that gene from her.

I really want a pair of booties for fall.  I've been lusting after these Steve Madden Panelopes, but at $100, I couldn't really justify getting both black AND taupe.  (Clearly I'd need both, right?)  Plus I'm so fickle...who knows if I'll wear them next year?  And would I really wear anything with a heel, chasing after two monkeys?  I'm just being honest...

VIA
So I was thrilled to find these at Target for $30...in both colors....in my size!


Speaking of cheap thrills...I picked up this lightweight flannel and I've been wearing it every day...it's SO comfy.  Every time I wear a flannel, my husband refers to it as my lumberjack shirt.
VIA...And ALWAYS ONLY with a coupon!
If I had a big endless pot o'money, I'd invest in these:
VIA Nordy's
But instead I bought MoJo holiday themed jammies from a Zulily sale (and still had money leftover)...dressing them in matching jams is WAY more fun than one pair of shoes could provide.

I've heard people rave over these Nest candles...now I need to know if they are truly any better than my beloved B&BW candles:
VIA

I'm also obsessed with this living room image:
VIA HERE
I love how clean, calm, and comfy it looks.  I have WAY too much going on in our living room with all the colors & patterns, so this is my inspiration.  I've already got a tan/neutral sofa, so all I need are some pillows & throws.  I'd also like to swap out the window treatments (which freaks me out -- such a commitment!), maybe paint, and definitely get some art up on the walls that coordinates.  I'm still undecided on whether we have enough space for both an ottoman and a coffee table.

A couple of points I may regret later:  Nearly white furnishing?  Candles?  Hmm...I might need to re-think some of this with 2 sticky-handed daredevils running around.

I'm on a mission to de-clutter our house.  It feels so crowded because of all the toys/junk we've accumulated and I know our home would feel 10x bigger if we did a big purge  I'm ready to haul all the toys to Goodwill, gah!  I feel like they are taking over our home...in every room, nook and cranny.  How did it get to this point?  I'm curious how other people keep their toys organized (and out of sight).

Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. Great deal on the shoes! They look just as cute as the Steve Maddens (and if they get ruined while running around after two busy toddlers, you won't have to feel too bad about it!) I'm curious about the Nest candles too, so if you try them, be sure to share what you think. Loving that living room. But, I'm like you - the light colors scare me with children. I like the candles though - would keeping a glass lantern thing around them as pictured help keep Morgan and Joey from grabbing them?

    The only way to declutter is to be ruthless. Toss/donate every single thing that they kids don't play with on a regular basis. Same goes for clothing and shoes (for you and them). I've been mercilessly decluttering as often as possible, and it feels SO good. Every time something goes to Goodwill or gets tossed, I feel a weight lifting off my shoulders!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about being ruthless- I need to just do it, preferable when the little ones are asleep!

      Delete
  2. Oh gosh friend, this post hits so much of what I have been thinking about too! 1. I bought a mum at Costco and we had some HOT weather right when I bought it and one side is a bit fried. 2. I am loving the booties but they are one of those items I am just not sure if I can pull off. 3. Look at the Vince Camuto flats. I dont think my TBs are very comfy and with my feet growing from pregnancy I am shopping for new ones. SO comfy and SO much less expensive. 4. Our toys are taking over our house. I need to find good toy baskets/storage for our play room as it looks like a tornado by the end of the day. Stepping on match box cars in the middle of the night is so fun.

    Your mama is looking down and smiling knowing you are such a fabulous mom and wife! Sending you a big hug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet... OK, I'm gonna go look at the VC flats just for fun. I have heard the TB Revas aren't very comfy, and I have never even tried on the other ones. Thanks for the rec! Comfort is a must. I hear ya on the tornado - same story here, uggh.

      Delete
  3. have the vets come
    pick up your donations. you literally sign up for a time, set your stuff in your driveway, and they come
    pick it up. they can even leave you a tax receipt in your mailbox!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot all about the Vets! I will check into that, thanks!!

      Delete
  4. St. Vincent DePaul also picks up... you are encouraging me to purge as I look disgustingly down the hallway at the messy playroom that's too cluttered to play in.
    What a terrible friend to not wish you a happy belated bday today!! Glad it was happy.
    I can't imagine how hard your 29th and every birthday is now, but there is no hiding that your mom's beauty, strength and mothering skills shine in you everyday. All my love sweet friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those booties are adorable! Score! Save your money and don't get the TB flats. They're the most uncomfortable things ever!!! Sam Edelmans are less expensive and much easier on the piggies! Target carries a brand of candle called Nature's Wick that blows the expensive/designer candles out of the water! The pumpkin nutmeg scent fills my entire home with warm Fall goodness! I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. Happy belated birthday.

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping by! I love to read your comments, so feel free to let me know you were here!