04 September 2014

Dora, Boots & Dogs

Random post title, I know.


But, did you know Dora is all growed up and has a new show?  Thank you Nick Jr., because I couldn't take one more episode of that old format (or her bad bowl cut or her whiny voice).  The kids are into it and it buys me 30 minutes of quiet time.  Usually.
Totally. Mesmerized.  Gracias Dora.
This week has included too much tv-watching as I'm not feeling great pregnancy-wise.  Lots of contractions and abdominal pain.  I keep teetering on calling my OB and forcing myself to rest, which helps.   This is the week, afterall, that Morgan arrived early.  I'm just trying to get past it.  We stay home for now because I can't wrangle two toddlers and one of them always ends up getting carried, kicking & screaming, to the car.  Nope.  Can't do it.

As for Boots, I'm not referencing her trusty amigo, Boots the Monkey.  No I'm talking boots for Mama!  For a couple years I've been adoring the Frye Melissa Button boots from afar, telling myself I'd never be able to spend that much on a pair of boots.  That fact, along with the price, hasn't changed.  Boo.
Frye Melissa Button boots @ Nordstrom

But! A while back, I found these Sam Edelman Penny boots for about half the price.  What sold me is the soles...they look like they'll be super comfy and not loud/clickety.  And they had a gazillion great reviews on Zappos.  I went to try them on last weekend and they didn't have my size at my local Nordy's, so I went ahead & ordered them figuring I have nothing to lose with free shipping & free returns.  I also reminded myself that my last brown leather boots lasted me 4 good years, so I know I'd get my money's worth.

Sam Edelman Penny boots @ Nordstrom
As for the "Dogs" of this post, this was a weird week.  Over the weekend, we saw a golden retriever wandering down our country road.  She eventually made her way up to our house and would.not.leave.  Then it stormed & rained buckets.  After 24 hours, I felt really really bad for her.  We gave her water (because it was so incredibly hot out when it wasn't raining).  The hubs kept reminding me not to feed her or she'd never leave.  But I'm such a softie...I knew she'd been out on her own at least 2-3 days by this point.  I had no dog food so I made her plain oatmeal (????) and cooked chicken breast.  Who does that?

I finally reached someone at the county animal shelter and they came & got her.  It was clear she wanted to come in the house and she kept barking at our back patio door.  The kids wanted so badly to play with her.  She seemed friendly and well cared-for.  Almost as if someone had dumped her :(  The two ladies from the shelter who came and took her away, assured me she'd have no problem getting adopted.  Had she stayed any longer, I might've just taken her in.  Because that's all I need right now... #thankupregnancyhormones.

Not even 6 hours later, a guy shows up at my door.  Now, nobody ever comes over except for my Fed Ex, UPS, & USPS peeps because we live out in the sticks.  The dude seemed really agitated and I was a little scared opening up my door.  He explained his dog had escaped that morning and he was out looking for her.  It wasn't the golden retriever -- his was a totally different breed.
Lost little Lucas
He had tears as he told me how the dog broke out through their garage & cut himself, so he was probably bleeding.  I used good old Facebook and quickly found out my neighbors had him safely in their yard.  I connected the owner with my neighbor and it was a happy ending.  He was crying when they were finally reunited.  So happy that had a good outcome!
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. I'm literally crying reading about that sweet dog. So glad he was reunited with his owner - good job, Mama! And can't wait to hear how you like the boots - they look a lot like the Frye ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so sweet knowing that doggie & his owner found each other. I feel so fortunate that even though it feels like we live out in the middle of nowhere, we have kind & caring neighbors. I'll keep ya posted on the Penny boots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great story about the reconnecting the dog and his owner! Love a happy post with a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping by! I love to read your comments, so feel free to let me know you were here!