05 November 2014

We had a Baby GIRL!

Well if you follow me on IG or are my friend on FB, then this is old news....but we had a baby GIRL.  Twelve days ago, to be exact.

 She weighed 6 pounds, 4 ounces and was 19 inches long.  Pure, sweet perfection.
Daddy's crazy hairline and cowlick, just like her brother & sister too.
 We named her Claire Pamela.  Claire, because we both just liked the name and felt it would suit her throughout her life and Pamela after my mom, who passed away nine years ago.  She looks identical to both her big brother and big sister when they were newborns!
About to be wheeled in to the OR for the big show





She came 10 days ahead of her planned c-section because I started getting sick with Pre-Ecclampsia again.  OF COURSE, my doctor was on vacation, so I was in the hands of someone I'd never even met before.  He turned out to be fantastic, thank God.  As soon as Claire was born, she had a little trouble clearing the extra fluid from her lungs (common with c-section babies) and they took her to Special Care Nursery to be evaluated.  They decided to keep her after seeing her oxygen saturation levels were a bit low.  I didn't even get to hold her until the next day and that was SO HARD.
In her little oxygen hood and getting some extra IV fluids
But I was dealing with my own post-op issues.  15 minutes after they closed me up and I was in the recovery area, I had just said goodbye to Joe, the kids, and my MIL.  They went to go visit their new baby sister.  Suddenly, I heard a big gush of fluid.  I look down to see a pool of blood EVERY.WHERE.  My nurse heard the sound and quickly called for help.  She no sooner got it cleaned up, when it happened again.  Another big gush of blood.  At this point I knew I was  hemorrhaging.  I was so grateful for my nurse, Mindy, who stayed calm and collected when I was beginning to freak out.  I sent Joe a frantic text telling him to get back to recovery because I was bleeding pretty bad.

The nurses got the doctor out of his c-section that he had just begun and he came to help.  They hit me with every clotting medication they could give me and the doctor explained he didn't know why this was happening, but that he might have to take me back into the OR, open me up and find the source of the bleeding.  He also warned me of the possibility of having to perform a hysterectomy on me.  This also freaked me out.  Early menopause?  No thanks.  During the c-section, he already told me that this would have to be my last baby because there was "nothing left" of my baby oven and I was lucky I didn't rupture.  We had already decided this would be our last, (OK well, we were 99.9% sure) simply because I don't do pregnancy well and oh yeah....we're getting OLD.  But to hear it come from your doctor and have it no longer be your own choice?  That was hard to accept.  I know it's for the best and I have 3 perfectly healthy little children whom I couldn't love more.

I spent that night getting blood transfusions and therefore, couldn't go visit Claire in the SCN.  The next day we were both feeling better and she got to come stay in my room for the remainder of our hospital stay.


Discharge Day and ready to head home!
We've been adjusting to life at home as a family of 5 (whoah!) and my amazing husband is still off work.  He's been a saint -- handling anything and everything else so I can focus on the baby and rest and heal.  I am definitely soaking up this sweet time of life.

Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. Congrats on #3!! That sounds like a crazy birthing experience! Girl you rocked having three back to back! I know that bittersweet feeling of knowing it's your last baby but soak up every minute of it and enjoy her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good God, Tammy! So glad you are ok! And sweet Claire too:) So, did they identify the source of the bleeding? Glad they didn't have to put you back into surgery. Good gracious. As hard as it must be to be told that Claire will be your last one, at least you know that trying for another would be unsafe for you (instead of possibly getting pregnant and then figuring that out with severe complications! ) Another blogger I know was told the same thing after having her 3rd baby (also via c sec). Something about those third babies, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! I am so happy that you are okay now! I hate that you know for sure you can't have anymore, but you do have three BEAUTIFUL babies. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you are both okay! She is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh. What a story! So glad everything is okay and your baby girl is perfection! She does look just like her siblings! You look beautiful as always!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tyler and I have thrown the name Claire around too. We have two others in the lead right now, but we're still very unsure. So anyway, I love the name :)

    So glad your nurses and doctors took great care of you. How scary! I love having Tyler home with me and then I have a major meltdown the night before he has to go back to work. Not looking forward to that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! She is beautiful and Claire is such a great name! I'm sure it's hard hearing that you can't have more, but it seems like you have the frame of mind about it. Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy cow, that's scary. I'm so glad everyone is ok! She is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping by! I love to read your comments, so feel free to let me know you were here!