23 June 2015

Kitchen Update

I'm coming out of blog hibernation today to share our kitchen update.  I don't think I can really call it a "remodel" since we only replaced some aesthetic items, but then again, I don't know the rules of terminology.

It took about 3 months and was finally completed a week ago.  I learned a LOT during this process (for example, TRUST your contractor).  There were various setbacks like the weather (yes, we started during a winter storm), miscommunication, things on backorder, etc., in addition to me trying to subcontract out every.little.thing.

I set out to replace the counter tops, add a backsplash, and replace the cabinet hardware.  We also replaced the sink and faucet, added a window sill, and tweaked a few other small things.  Now trust me when I say, it's in no way styled or accessorized or anything like that.  No.  Go to Pinterest for that.  I need space for all our real-life clutter, ha!

First - Inspiration pics:

This is where I started.  I could start to envision the dark cabinets with contrasting lighter counter tops, in a layout that was similar to our kitchen.

I loved this sink and knew after ripping out the old granite composite sink, I wanted another one!


Our overall goal was to brighten the space up a bit and not make it feel so heavy and dark.  I really felt like I was in a cave with the old black granite counter tops.  We knew from the start we would NOT be replacing nor painting the cabinets.  Even though right now, I'd love some white cabinets, the cost and project could not be justified.  So we worked with what we had and we even ended up re-using most of the black granite in other spaces in the house.

Here's the dark before:
Definitely, by NO means, a bad kitchen!  But just not my style.

NOTE: Those little tiny T-shaped pulls are on EVERY.SINGLE. CABINET. AND. DRAWER. in the entire house.  They flip all around and are just a pain to deal with, let alone, look at.


And my happy after:

I am really pleased with the final result!  Since this is a newer home, there was no need to gut the space.  But since it was a newer home someone ELSE had built, some of the color choices of things weren't my favorite.

I still need to paint the walls, but since the main floor is open concept, I can't get by with "just painting the kitchen", as the walls go on and on into other rooms with no defining stopping point. I 'm also considering a window treatment (commitment!!) and maybe some new counter stools.  SHHH - Don't tell my husband that last part.

The River White granite has reddish brown flecks in it that pick up the cherry tone of our cabinets.  The herringbone pattern of the beveled subway back splash tiles are clean, but add interest without competing with other elements.  We opted not to install an exhaust hood because it got to be too much of a headache.  And you don't even need one, who knew?!  Would it be nice to not have my glass pendants have grease splatters on them from the cook top?  Sure.  But trust me when I tell you there was no easy solution.  That "hood" vs. "No hood" was the debate that held up most of the project from even getting off the ground.

I feel so blessed to be able to cook and bake and just hang out in this space!  It's truly the center of our home and where I spend 80% of my time.  I love it!

Photobucket

1 comments:

  1. Looks beautiful, Tammy. Love that you lightened it up a bit without ripping everything apart to do it!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping by! I love to read your comments, so feel free to let me know you were here!