14 July 2011

Working Mamas vs. SAH Mamas

OK, this post isn't supposed to be a "battle" or an argument over which is supposedly better.  Because I've read/listened to/discussed both sides of that topic for some time now and it could go on, and on, and on....

This post is meant to mark where I am right now, in MY life.  I've even debated a long while on posting this at all.  I am struggling with a decision on whether or not to return to work right now.  SO many benefits to staying home with my sweet little angel, watching her grow and being there for her.  Knowing that she is being taken care of by me, her mama, and that nobody else could love her more.  Or do it better.  Just kidding.  No I'm not ; )

I was never going to be a Stay At Home Mom.  I'm still not sure that's what I am or that's what I can be.  I had no idea just how hard of a job it really is.  My husband jokes I clearly never attended "Finishing School".  (I had to look that up to see what it even meant!)  I can cook, clean (sometimes and sometimes I get help, don't judge), and find that I've gotten really good at taking care of our baby.  I have a tremendous amount of respect for single moms/dads and those who have no support.  I don't know how they do it.

But there are benefits to working as well.  (Namely, my sanity, oh and money -- although not in that order).  A valid reason to shower and look presentable.  What -- you think Mo notices if I wear the same yoga pants 3 days in a row and that my tank top has day-old spitup on it? Not to mention I have professional state licenses that require upkeep and continuing medical education that will always be required, lest you get left behind.  I guess professionally, that is what I'm afraid of:  Getting left behind.

I am fortunate enough right now that I am able to stay home and that I even have this choice to consider -- I know for many, it's not an option but a necessity.  I am very grateful for this.  We just eat out/go places/do fun things/buy stuff a LOT less now.  And it's honestly alright.  Even if we only have 1.5 reliable vehicles between my husband and me.

But I DO miss the adult interaction and making important daily decisions.  Like, decisions more important than "Should I empty the diaper genie now or live on the edge and wait til I can't close the lid?"  And then I get serious and I argue with myself  "What is more important than raising your daughter?"  Um...nothing. 

And work will always be there.  In addition, due to everything I've read and seen on the news lately, I trust NO ONE.  It's not good, my friends.  Seriously...people are crazy/psychotic/careless/reckless/on drugs/don'tgiveacrap.  I've seen stuff lately, locally, having to do with CHILDREN, that has made me throw up in my mouth a little bit and want to go Dexter on these criminals.  So I think that may just be the deciding factor for me.

Well, that, and this....

Oh HI!

Just another random Thursday, Mom & Mo hanging out together ; )

3 comments:

  1. Only you can decide what's right for you! Would it be possible for you to return part time? That way you would still have the benefits of interaction with adults, but also get to spend more time with your little one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks SushiMama for your comment! Yes, part-time is a possibility (thank GOD!) and I'm checking into it. I just need to overcome my fear of leaving her with a stranger if a family member can't watch her. However, I don't have high hopes for my stranger danger fear being overcome anytime soon, like the next 18 years, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Tammy, although you make an excellent nurse, you have stay-at-home mommy written all over your face! You could always just take a supplemental position to keep up the license....

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping by! I love to read your comments, so feel free to let me know you were here!