The Hubs is working all weekend....womp womp. That's what he gets for taking 2.5 weeks off I guess.
Well I caved...I sent Morgan back to Toddler School today. Despite all my threats and both kids getting sick, once I had some time to really think it over, I decided it's still a good experience for her. And it gives us some place to BE two days per week. I had thought maybe instead of school I'd enroll her in a little Tumbling Tots class or even Gymboree classes or Kindermusik, but again -- she will be around other kids -- which doesn't remove the risk of getting sick again. So it came down to either stay in our house and NEVER leave...or get out and live.
She turns two next month and OMG. We are noticing some BIG changes lately.
When she doesn't get her way (which seems to be always) she throws a tantrum. This happens over every little thing. Like coming down the stairs after nap time. She wants to stop and sit and play on the stairs. Meanwhile, I've always got Joey downstairs out of view (but always some place safe like his jumper or rolling around on his activity mat), so I don't feel like we can dilly dally for 30 minutes on the stairs. I'm like "Let's just get down the stairs already and you can play then!"
Since about a month ago, (and she must've picked this up at school) she'll come up to you with open arms and say "Hugs? Hugs?" Aww.....so sweet. Except now, she clamps on, arms around your neck and starts yelling "Up! Up! Up!" She's figured out how to ensure she will get picked up. I pick her up as much as I can because I don't want her to feel neglected. But then when I put her down....nuclear meltdown.
She's also LOOOVING to help me with everything. I'm trying to find ways to include her and teach her, even if it means taking
And I should mention her sleep. Lord knows we've had our battles, but for the most part, it's been decent. Except lately, she's been waking up in the middle of the night, screaming. We try to wait it out a bit because she USED TO put herself back to sleep. But now she doesn't give up. So we try rocking her, and she falls asleep, only to awaken the SECOND you set her back in her crib. The cycle starts all over again.
This went on for 2 hours last night. I finally turned her monitor off and shut our bedroom door. Of course I couldn't sleep and had to keep getting up to go listen by the stairs to see if she was still at it. She finally went back to sleep. I'm not sure what's causing the night waking. Teeth? (The last of her canines are finally poking through - I won't miss the teething stage one bit!) Bad dreams?
And this little guy just continues to look cute. Smiles for everyone. Still being very clear about his intentions come 7:30 every night: Put. Me. To. Bed. NOW. I am SO thankful he is a good little sleeper!!!
He's sucking his thumb like it's his last meal. It's really adorable. But I have a feeling I'm not going to think that down the road. I've heard thumbsucking is REALLY hard to break kids of (it's not a paci you can just throw away, afterall!) and it can really mess up their teeth and bite.
Eating is a different story for him though; he is just not liking solid foods. It's a real challenge every time I feed him. He spits everything out and it takes for-ev-er just to get a few bites down. We'll keep trying.
Happy Friday! Hope you all have a great weekend! I'm excited because Downton Abbey Season 3 starts, woop woop!



For us the 22nd & 23rd month were a couple of the hardest with our little girl (25 months now). Meltdowns, screaming, tantrums, bed time fights, middle of the night fights....on and on.
ReplyDeleteBut the 24th month came, her language skills took off and it's like we have a new child. The night-time got better. She understands negotiation enough now to know if she has a good night and stays in her room all night with no crying that we do something special in the morning.
I bet things quickly get easier with her overnight. Now if I could get my 5month old to sleep like your little guy I'd be in good shape!
I'm so happy to hear it got better in the 24th month...that's just around the corner for us. Here's hoping!! I hope your little gal starts sleeping better for you!
DeleteOMG I could have totally written this post! I have been wondering what in the world happened to my child also (she will be 2 also next month). Her sleep has been awful. Granted, we changed her to a big girl bed. But she did fine the first week or so. Lately, she has been waking up screaming and, like you, I rock or sway her for what seems like for-ev-er only to have her clinging to my leg when I'm walking our of her room. Crazy girls! I'm debating switching her back to a crib so I can at least shut the door and know she's safe.
ReplyDeleteWe've had the bed-transition talk and we're just not ready for Morgan to roam the house at night, lol! Aw, poor Gracie...I hope she gets a good routine down soon before baby sister comes!!
DeleteAww, I hope those nighttime wake-ups end soon. We have been lucky in that regard. Kyla has just been refusing to nap lately. But I make her stay in there and at least rest, even if it includes whining. Mama needs her break! We have talked about a twin bed for her too, but I am in no hurry for that! She isn't even attempting to climb out of the crib (that I know of).
ReplyDeleteI am right there with you with the tantrums though. Wow! I hope both of our girls are like Jessica's and out grow them soon!
Our Morgan also has had issues and it got better for a little while, and now she is waking up in the middle of the night for whatever reason saying their is monsters-ugh! I guess one day we will all sleep again (or thats what I tell myself-haha!)
ReplyDelete