21 May 2013

Makin' Life Easier Part 1

I thought I'd share some little tidbits for those that might be in the same boat as me:  You know, with 2 little rugrats so close in age (I used to be able to say 2 Under 2, but no longer since Morgan turned 2 in February), I find whatever I can to make life a little easier on myself.

Every once in a while, I'll stumble across something (or more rarely, come up with it on my own) and think "That's brilliant!"  These are things that I've gotten a lot of use out of, save me time, or just in general make my life easier.

I'm trying to eat healthy - and I also try to offer the same options to Morgan.  As her parent, it's my job to offer healthy options every.single.day, even if she refuses.  I sometimes think "Why bother!", but I know I have to keep it up or she will turn into the little boy I went to school with, that at 30 years old would still only eat Mac & Cheese, Cheese pizza, chicken strips, (and beer).  

It's a total crap shoot with her though; one day she eats every speck of broccoli on her plate.  A few days later, she won't touch it with a 10-foot Elmo fork.

Today will be mostly food-focused.  First up:

1.  Microwave steamer bowl.

Got mine off Amazon via HERE
This is awesome for super fast steamed veggies and the perfect small size for me & Morgan to share 'em.  I often make my broccoli with a little LIGHT Italian dressing (2 Tblsp so I don't go overboard and kill the clean with too much fat & sugar from the dressing).  I don't like plain veggies.  I might nibble on them raw, but if they're cooked I have to have some flavor.  Or sprinkle just a TINY bit of shredded parmesan cheese over top - you only need a few sprinkles because it's got such a strong flavor punch.

I also do carrots, cauliflower, corn, peas, green beans....you name it in this bowl.  3 minutes in the mic and we're ready to eat!  I probably use this thing 4-5 days per week.

2.  I've been loving these food items lately:
 The G.D. Veggie Marinara sauce is pretty much pureed veggies and the TJ's turkey meatballs are fully cooked = fast lunch/dinner and on the healthier side.  Of course it would be much healthier for me to make my own turkey meatballs but I hate touching raw ground turkey.  The mess.  The time.  Alllll the ingredients so it doesn't taste like a wet toilet paper roll....I don't have time for that right now.

This was my lunch, and I threw it together in less than 10 minutes:
Steamed broccoli + 4 Turkey Meatballs (cut up) w/Veg Marinara + 5 Grape tomatoes
 3. I pinned Refrigerator Oatmeal a long time ago and forgot about it.  Made it yesterday and OMG I'm in love.  I want to eat it every day forever.  Well...maybe that's a bit drastic.  But I'm loving it right now.  And Morgan ate it!  I even ordered Mason jars off Amazon so I can do it up right.  Make a bunch for the week and just pull it out of the fridge when I want one.  SO good for you too!
My raspberry version - looks like a sad heap of gruel...but it was DELISH & EASY, swearsies
The pro lady's version...all prettied up in Mason jars
You can find that recipe here:

4.  My last little tip for busy Moms is AMAZON.  Sign up for Amazon Prime and you can join Amazon Mom for free, which gets you 20% off diapers, wipes, etc.  And with Prime membership, you get diapers & wipes (and diaper genie refills! or anything else you want!) sitting on your doorstep in 2 days (FREE shipping!).  Amazon Prime does cost $79.99/year I think?  But all the free shipping totally makes it worth it.

We were Prime members long before kids came along, so I don't know details about joining Amazon Mom only...

Anyway, hope this little list helps.  I'll post more if I think of more in the future.  If you have any great tips, I'd love to hear from you!
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. This is why I love you. I am an avid Prime user. The kind that they probably hate. I milk that $80/year for everything it's worth. NO CLUE about this Amazon Mom thing.

    PS. LOVE giada. I must find these meatballs.

    This post was just what mama needed today! Oh and the refrigerator oatmeal? My absolute fav. The mango/almond is yum too!

    xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad heap of gruel and wet toilet paper roll, you are on POINT today!

    ...but seriously thanks for the tips! I may only have one, but with Ken being as clean as pigpen I might as well have two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have been meaning to try the fridge oatmeal thing since I love oatmeal so much! Your lunch looks delish - I would love a lunch like that. Thanks for the great idea shares mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. UMM... YUM! that lunch looks so good! And good for you! Too bad I'm craving a cheeseburger right now. Also, Amazon Prime is the best thing that has come into my life!

    ReplyDelete

Hi and thanks for stopping by! I love to read your comments, so feel free to let me know you were here!