The kids' catalogs have our number. Or rather, our address. We have been inundated by toy catalogs and it is SO hard to not spoil this little munchkin! I've dreamed of becoming a mommy since I was a little girl and now that I have my sweet baby girl, of COURSE I want to spoil her! I've been reading a lot on traditions other families have begun, so as not to let the gift-giving (and expectancy) get out of control.
I know growing up, my parents always tried to make Christmas special, no matter how much or how little they had. But it was definitely about "quantity" for us kids. The bigger your stack of presents, the better. I hope my kids never have to go without anything, but I also hope they never take anything for granted. I don't think my brother, sister and I grew up to be spoiled brats - and I see them as parents trying to always make Christmas special for their children too.
I think our generation of parents just want to give and show our children EVERYTHING. We can't bear to think they might go without something. I don't want to get caught up in that. I read an article (a blog somewhere, but can't remember where to give proper credit) about a family that gives their children 4 gifts every Christmas: Something they want, something they need, something to wear, and something to read. It's catchy, but practical and that's what I like about it.
Speaking of getting crazy with Christmas, maybe its the Hubs I have to worry about....he ordered these from Pottery Barn recently...something about personalizing things makes them WAY cuter:
I just know I am looking SO forward to Christmas this year now that Morgan is here. She won't really know what's going on, but she will have a blast. There are so many things I can't wait to do with her, like take her to meet Santa (which I fully expect her to cry and not to get a good picture), get her a holiday dress, show her snow, watch her marvel at the lights and start to teach her all about Jesus, just to name a few.
As for me, I've been trying really hard to force myself to WAIT. WAIT to start playing Christmas music, WAIT to start decorating and bring out the tree, and WAIT to start any sort of goodies baking.
But one thing I'm not
But NOT THIS YEAR! I think he's going to be pleasantly surprised this year!! (Let's just for now ignore the fact that since I am a SAHM now, I am technically using his hard-earned money to buy him gifts, mmkay?)
I just ordered our holiday card and will share once they arrive. Hmmm....I think being a SAHM makes me a little more on the ball! Or I just have a lot more downtime to obsess about such things ; )
Guess I had a lot to say for not blogging in a while...





Totally understand the wanting our kids to have everything, my kid is in utero and I already feel this way. LOVE the personalized Christmas bags!
ReplyDelete